Friday, November 6, 2009

End of October- early November

We are doing well but are all sick now; I think we spent a bit too much time on the beach last week... I started working on another consultancy, and am trying to juggle my time between two projects... I have to help one NGO collect local data on health, education, child protection, families' economic security, and other issues related to children. Very interesting. For example, I learned that cassava, a staple food here, has almost zero nutritional value, but everyone is growing and eating it...

Last week we went to the Maputo train station, to see some very old and some newer trains. I have not been there yet, and it is a fantastic old building (remember those picture I gave u, Renata?). Most trains are really in a bad state, with broken windows, and overcrowded, but Eric and Maya liked them anyway. They are very cheap, though, for less than 1$ you can get pretty far, to the nice beach areas outside Maputo. After the train station, we went to the old fortress, where Eric and Maya sat on some cannons. They were finally put to good use :).

During the week I also took the kids on my own to the beach and to the ice-cream shop, and they were doing very well there. We are always afraid that one of them starts throwing a tantrum or something, but I guess they are beginning to grow up.
When at home, the kids played with their friends: u can see our neighbour Francisco hiding from Eric, Jose Antonio and Eric doing some gymnastics, and Fatima who has joined the kids for their dinner (What child can say NO to macaroni?).

Eric will start swimming lessons, 3 times a week, hopefully next week. He is really looking forward to it.

These are all the updates so far. Write to us!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Svetlana, thanks for all updating and nice picture. I would appreciate very much if you could get some cards (2 of each)of the places you visit in Maputo, of course, if there are some aviable.
    We wish all of you to get better again very soon. Take care of your health.
    I like to learn that Eric is going to have swimming lessons. I think Pia started ca.at the same age and she is very good now.
    Love from all of us at Tjoeme
    Renate

    ReplyDelete